|Patches the Spider|
|English Voice||William Vanderpuye|
Patches is a Nightmare Apostle with a man's head; his facial features are distinct from the other human-headed spiders, resembling characters from previous Souls games with whom he shares a name and some personality traits. His personality is as unsavory as his appearance.
After talking to him at any of these locations he can then be found in person in the following locations:
- Lecture Building (permanent residence)
- Nightmare Frontier (only once)
- Chalice Dungeons (as a vendor)
Upon his initial indirect appearance Patches will offer the player the Tonsil Stone after describing "something grand" that can be found in an area to the right of the Grand Cathedral. This of course baits the unwitting player to visit the church at the top of Yahar'gul and thus to be grabbed by the Amygdala hidden within and transported to the Lecture Building.
Patches can subsequently be found behind a locked door in the Lecture Building, revealing only part of his face through a mostly obscured window (though if one looks closely with the Monocular his spider legs are slightly visible). Speaking to him at this location causes him to appear in the Nightmare Frontier, where he can't be interacted with directly. He sets a trap consisting of a trail of Shining Coins and a Coldblood Flowerbud and lurks on a nearby cliffside. Approaching the item triggers a cutscene where Patches pushes the Hunter into the ravine below.
Patches can finally be confronted face-to-face after defeating The One Reborn and accessing the upper floor of the lecture building; a ladder near the Church Giant descends to the room he's in. At this point the player can finally engage in direct dialogue without a door between them and Patches, and can choose whether to forgive him for his previous deceitful actions; Patches will give the Hunter a rune as a token of his friendship if they do.
|Click to see dialogue|
- When encountering Patches in the lecture building he teaches the "beg for life" gesture when asking for forgiveness. Forgiving him via the second dialogue option will result in receiving the Anti-Clockwise Metamorphosis Caryll Rune.
- Patches drops a Great One's Wisdom if killed in the Lecture building. He will also leave the item on the desk where he once sat in the Lecture Building when he leaves after Amygdala's death.
- If the player chooses not to kill Patches after his betrayal, he will rarely appear as a merchant in certain Chalice Dungeons. However, he sells items at extremely high rates, the same prices as the Chalice Dungeon Bath Messengers.
- If Patches is killed in a Chalice Dungeon, a Bath Messenger shop will spawn in his place upon reloading the area.
- Patches the Spider is the latest incarnation of the recurring character who previously appeared as Patches the Hyena in Demon's Souls and Trusty Patches in Dark Souls.
- Though the various incarnations of Patches aren't literally the same character, since all of the games are set in different worlds, the parallels are obvious and intentional with the characters sharing the same name, face, voice actor, personality and of course the behavior of promising the player great riches before ambushing them and kicking them down a deep hole.
- When players are near his ambush spot, a message from Patches can be read: "This way, to witness a miracle". This is likely a joke about Patches' open disdain for clerics in previous games - often denouncing them as liars and charlatans, a rather hypocritical line of criticism given his own actions.
- Interestingly, if Patches is killed in the Lecture Building, he will still appear in the Nightmare Frontier, but be unable to attack the player. However, if he is knocked down from his perch in the Frontier without killing him in the Lecture Building, he will still attack.